For my fellow Aussies, The DMV is the Department of Motor Vehicles here in the USA, the equivalent of the Rego Office. Jenee and I got a tip off that it was a good idea to get there at 7:30, opening time.
Well we did get there that early and I am glad. First of all I got stuffed around in line for an hour while they waited for another government office's computers to come online, during which time I had to sing happy birthday to some one who was the birthday boy. Finally it was my turn, and the very nice lady got me into the system and asked me to take an eye exam. You have to look into this microscope thingy and read off numbers and letters, only problem being that the inter ocular distance of the machine is fixed - meaning, unless the distance between your eyes matched the microscope, you would have trouble reading the numbers - jerks. Now I have 20/40 instead of 20/20 vision.
Test time. Two tests, 20 questions each - multiple choice, can get a total of 5 questions wrong per test. Thats easy compared to the SA test where you have 8 give-way questions and if you get one wrong you fail, followed by the 42 multiple choice that you can get no more than 5 wrong total. Anyway, I only got 1 wrong total, which got a cheer from all three people serving at the DMV.
I then had to wait for 1 hour, with Jenee, to take a practical test. I got 26/31. Apparently I passed a stop sign and he didn't like the way I started the car, but he was pretty nice so I forgave him for his bad judgment. I also got a cheer for passing all the tests in one day from the DMV staff. And you would think I was kidding?
Short of the long is that I now, after nearly 4 hours at the DMV, have a Florida Drivers Licence. YAY.
2 comments:
As scary as the DMV is, it's much more frightening to think of how easily people can get licenses in this state. And I hated the eye test as well.
Brandon
I think what scared me was the number of convicted DUI drivers who came in and proclaimed their story. More than one of them failed the written exam that day. Apparently the sign with a car and squiggly lines doesn't mean "Warning: Drink Driver Ahead"
Post a Comment