Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Brandon's Launch Pictures and Other Camera Info

Brandon took his brand-spanking new D40 along for its first real outing for the Shuttle Launch.

For the camera nerds, he used a Nikon D40 with a Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR on Auto everything and shot jpg's, I used my Nikon D70s with a Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200 f/2.8 and 2x extender, stopped down to f/5.6 and shot RAW. We both used burst mode and spot metering because of the saturating brightness of the booster rocket flames.

Take a look at his fantastic pictures at his blog.

Other tidbits, I shot on my tripod (being that I had 600 mm equivalent focal length lens) and kept the shutter above 1/400 th, Brandon shot hand held with VR on / active mode. We both used San Disc Ultra II's. Thanks to Stephen for loaning his Ultra II SD card for the shoot, we wouldn't have 1/10 th the pictures we do with out it. Despite what some camera shop assistants and "experts" think, card speed can and does matter when you are shooting, especially in burst mode.

No comments: