Well, here is a post for October to get us started. Last month was project month. Jenee has been super busy working on the twins quilts and I am, or perhaps she is, proud to say, that she is in the final stages of putting the quilt together, and they should be done this weekend. I know we have said this before, but this time I mean it.
While Jenee has been quilting, I have been working on a few other projects. One is to refinish an armoire, which is nearly done at the time of writing, another was to make the shelves you see to the right, and the last was to pull my immigration stuff together.
I am slowly working at building a home network and the first integral part to this plan is that little white box on the shelves. It's essentially a wireless router with a built in hadr drive, i.e. a small server. The awesome part of this little device is now our computers will wirelessly back themselves up and we done ever have to worry about them crashing (yes I concede even Mac's can fail, though it's not happend to us...). Next step is to add some more networked storage i.e. larger server, so that we have true data redundancy and we'll also be able to stream data all over the house, like to a TV or computer. Pretty cool huh!
The important thing about the whole paragraph above is that I made the shelves from scraps I had lying around the place. There is a shelf for the TV (which weighs ~40 lbs or 20kg), the DVD player and the router, and I drilled 60 mm holes so that all the cables could be hidden from view. It's anchored to the wall with enough screws in studs to hold about 10x more than it needs to. Call it peace of mind.
Immigration documents are a pain, but I am glad to say I am nearly done, thanks to everyone who wrote us letters of support. We'll be submitting the package in the next few weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment