Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2007

An Update on Immigration Proceedings

Well, I am sitting in my room in Tennessee and I am 1000 km away from my wife on my birthday. Not overly happy about the whole situation. Oh well, I am in Tennessee to take part in a 2 day workshop for "Powder Flow", a topic that I am constantly gaining knowledge in.

I have noticed that I have about 3 drafts for Blog posts that I haven't even touched in the last couple of weeks so I need to sit down and do some writing. I will start with an update on the fun with the immigration proceedings and then later tonight after dinner I will try and fill youse all in on some other things that have been happening like our visit to NASA, a visit from Jenee's cousin to Gainesville and some of the fun for my birthday.

Enough of the fluffing around, here is whats happening with my immigration; as of the Thursday prior to the date of this post, I have done all that is required of me for my immigration papers. This includes submitting large amounts of paperwork and going to a Certified Doctor to have a medical. Now I have to elaborate on the 'medical'. I was expecting to have lots of poking, prodding, blood tests, psychological evaluations, MRI and possibly a rubber glove inspection, mostly because I was expecting the worst case scenario.

So what was the real experience like? Well, I went to my local GP/Family Practitioner to have my immunization updated and she told me that I should have a blood test to prove my immunization to MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) which most children are immunized against from birth. I also got a painful Tetanus booster for my trouble. A week later the blood tests showed that I had no immunity to the strains of MMR common to North America so lucky me got to have those shots too.

The actual immigration medical was performed by a certified physician in Jacksonville, 2 hours away. We got there early and I was ready to be violated in every way imaginable but when it was my turn a nurse took by statistics (height, weight, blood pressure and blood sample) and then after a small wait the Dr. came to see me. With me clenching tight, he pulled his stethoscope out and listened to my heart and breathing and poked my stomach twice with his thumb and forefinger, finishing with, " Go have your x-ray and then your done". LOL. I was almost breathless from the shock. That was it?

All the tests came back negative so I can confidently say that I don't have HIV/AIDS, syphilis, tuberculosis, rabies, diarrhea, MMR, tetanus, hepatitis, influenza or even a rash, I all clear! Now all we have to do is mail the results off to the Department of Immigration and wait for our final interview.

Its a huge relief to have all of this done and I have to thank Jenee for motivating/encouraging/harassing me to get everything done. With out her I would proably be still procrastinating filling out the documents.

No comments: