Yep, I am the Birtday Boy and I am not of the right ol' age of 28! Oh my goodness, I am nearly 30, I don't have a house, 2 cars, a holiday home in the mountains, 2.4 kids and a dog. Ahhhhhh! Panic attack!
Actually I am quite ok and I am so blessed to be working towards those kind of things with a wife who shares the common goals. A part of my birthday celebration was to go to NASA. We got up early after the beach trip and drove down to Cape Canaveral. The weather was forecast for thunderstorms and as we were approaching Orlando the clouds rolled in and after we had passed the Orlando Internaitonal Airport the rain came down. I think I may have seen rain this heavy once before in my life when I was driving in the Adelaide Hills and it was so heavy that the convoy of three or four cars I was in slowed down to a crawling pace. This rain was probably equally as heavy and I felt that it was severe enough to pull off the road. After a few minutes the rain lifted and we continued in hope that the weather may fine up. By the time we got to NASA headquarters, the clouds were gone, the sun was shining and we had some of the nicest weather anyone could wish for.
Jenee had bought tickets for us to go on the NASA up close tour. This was a guide tour on a coach that took us around the NASA site. We got to see the launch pads for the shuttles from fairly close up, the crawlers for the shuttle, the Vehicle Assembly Building that has the same internal volume as 2.5 Empire State Buildings as well as what was a real highlight for me, a walk through simulator inside the room where they launched the Apollo series rockets to the moon where you could see all the original instrument panels that were useds in their original locations and after that you walked through to the hanger for one of the Apollo Rockets laying down on its side. I have to tell you, I had no perception as to how big the rockets were until I got to see this one. As you will see from my pictures, each of the four main engines were more than twice my height. Its just awe-inspiring to see.
Anyone for NASA?
No comments:
Post a Comment