Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2008

An Interesting Cultural Experience

I am a few days publishing this post, but here it is. From Thursday through Saturday night, Jenee and I were busting ourselves, working to make everything work smoothly for a conference that Jenee organized. There were over 300 students plus a good 40 staff members and I am very proud to say that all of Jenee's planning shone through and the conference ran exceptionally well. My role in the conference was essentially to wear what ever hat was needed to and so I was at times the AV guy, photographer, tour guide, escort, errands runner, liason and moving muscle. Three days of that kind of activity and that would explain why on Sunday Jenee and I literally could barely do anything.

I think the most interesting part of the whole experience for me was that I have never had so much interaction with such a large number of African Americans. It was actually a really fun experience and I guess I had never really thought about how they are culturally quite different to Anglo-Saxon whites. I have thought about how to describe my observations during the conference but I am not sure I know exactly what I want to say. Being that the body of students were largely undergraduates, I was not surprised to see that there was a lack of motivation to attend sessions and to meander around aimlessly yet there was still a group of die-hard nerds who were in everything for the long haul.

I think my thoughts became a little more clarified during the final part of the program which was an awards banquet. Awards were given out for posters and presenters and we were privileged to have the President of another university give the plenary speech. All in all it was a good event, and I enjoyed myself. Here are some of the pictures from the event.

No comments: