Well its Labor Day weekend in the US. I did a little homework, and what do you know, once again the world should be gratefull to Australian's leading the way. On the 21st of April, 1856 Stonemasons and building workers on building sites around Melbourne, Australia, stopped work and marched from the University of Melbourne to Parliament House to achieve an eight hour day. Their direct action protest was a success, and they are noted as the first organized workers in the world to achieve an eight hour day with no loss of pay, which subsequently inspired the celebration of Labour Day and May Day.
This weekend we have been recuperating from a busy week and travelling to Tennessee. On Saturday we rode onto campus to so I could show Jenee what tailgating during football season is all about. After her eyes were awed be all that is the crazyness of Gator School Spirit, we went home and had lunch be the pool. I could tell how worn out we both were and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and lounging around the apartment. For the evenings entertainment, we watched Pride and Prejudice, which wasn't nearly as sappy as I was expecting, in fact, one might go as far as to say that I enjoyed the movie.
With the weather changing down a gear, which means that it is still hot, just not as hot as July/August, I was welcomed to a beautiful still and "cool" morning. Actually, I was welcomed by Sable's head poping over the horizon of the bed as she reached up to wake me up, then I saw how nice it was outside. On the way home from Church I was thinking how nice it would be to put the top down and enjoy the sun for the drive home. For some reason I didn't follow through, and 2 minutes later I was rather happy about the whole deal. You see, even though the sun was out and there were only a few clouds to be seen, it started to rain. And not the wussy light rain, I am talking about big heavy drops that can render a man unconscious. Ok, so thats a slight exaggeration, but the drops are pretty large on my scale.
Well it kept on raining, raining after lunch, raining on the way to the mall, in the mall, in the car park, on the way home and finally finished about 4 pm. We went to the mall because our fancy can opener didn't open cans anymore so Jenee threw it out and we went out to get a new one. I also bought a cast iron frying pan with tall, sharpish ridges that we can use to "BBQ", as we cant have a BBQ on the second floor.
Sunday evening we took Brandon, Krista and Jay out to see the Bourne Supremacy. If you liked the first two you will love this one. Its just as good, if not better. I found myself literally on the edge of my seat much of the movie and enjoyed all the little plot twists and moments of "wow" along the way. I won't say anymore, other than it was fantastic!
Tomorrow is a new day, and since its a holiday, I don't know what we're going to do. Sleep in is definitely on the check list. More apartment painting is a possibility as well as a trip to the butterfly museum. Who knows what tomorrow may hold
N
No comments:
Post a Comment