Yes it is true, I have climbed another rung of the ladder here at work, I received a promotion of kinds if you will, but not in the usual way. You see, here at PERC we don't judge rank by salary or recognition of research, rather we judge rank by the type of keys you have been issued.
When I started here in 05, I was already off to a good start because I was issued a key to "The Cage" which is where we keep our lab supplies, along with the standard lab and office keys. That little beauty earned me some respect.
A few months after that I managed to talk my way into being issued the highly coveted "001" key. The 001 is a sub master that first and foremost gets you access to the workshop. This is a big deal on its own, but as an added bonus all of a sudden you can open certain office doors and gain access to chocolate and soda supplies after hours or even to the tech office where all sorts of wonders are kept.
Well last night I stepped up another rung. Upon me was bestowed the often rumored but never seen "Building Key". With knee's shaking, hands trembling I received the key in an official ceremony last night where Gary held his hand out and said, "Here you go." Apparently the rumor is if you lose it or it gets stolen you have to pay for the building to be re-keyed, wonderful. Remember who lost his wedding ring for 2 months?
Anyway, Jenee and I are doing well. We are still tired from the trip to Tennessee, or at least I am. Last night we went to the Hammersma's home for dinner and socialized with them for the evening. Apparently Jenee and Sarah are going to watch the 5 hour version of Pride and Prejudice. Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition Marathon anyone?
7 comments:
Are the girls going to watch pride and prejudice twice? You may need to work on a better justification for seeing LOTR in all its glory.
And I always knew you would find a way to get the building master. I'm so proud of you!
Better justification? They are watching 5 hours of girly nonsense. That doesnt include the time they will take having pillow fights, talking about boys and eating. I figure we have at least 12 hours of credited time.
It's Pride and Prejudice you dork :)
Congrats on the promotion! Is your own personal parking space next in line?
The next promotion is a personal key to the Staff tool chest and flammables cabinet! LOL
Yikes...I had a building key and didn't know about the re-keying policy...for the past three years it's been in my desk drawer (when I wasn't at work) where any nosy grad student could have come across it -- scary! And on my last day, I didn't even turn in my keys, but just left them in the drawer with an email for Gary...hmm, guess he recovered them without any harm since I didn't get any frantic emails...you probably have my 1624 (is that the right numbers? 1264?) key now...
I think the re-keying processing policy is designed to scare you, I dont know how much weight it actually carries. I bet I do have your 1264 key. How are you doing anyway mommy?
Post a Comment