Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What A Weekend

For a few months now we have been planning on having Cortney and Meagan, Jenee's girlfriends, come and spend a weekend with us, and this last weekend was it. Jenee did all the planning be it for activities, meals, hotels, you name it. The first plan was after picking them up from the airport, we were going to drive down to Cocoa Beach and spend the following day enjoying the sun. And that's what we did, we picked them up on Wednesday night and made our way along 527 to Cocoa. About 20 minutes from the airport I looked down at my gauges and made an alarming discovery, we were sitting on reserve. Not wanting to alarm anyone I kept it to myself. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, however, the stretch of road between Orlando International and Cocoa Beach is pretty much unpopulated until you get to the ocean, thus no fuel stations. With some praying and careful driving we made it to Cocoa and filled our 16 gallon tank with 16.5 gallons. We were running on vapors...

After a good night's sleep we hit the main strip at Cocoa and visited the famous Ron Jon's surf shop. After a bit of shopping we all agreed to hit the beach and it was awesome. Beautiful sand, gentle surf and hot sun. The surf was so much fun that we all agreed to go back and get a body board to ride the waves. I volunteered and with in a few minutes I had made the round trip and was walking down the beach with our new board. Excited, I tore the wrapping off and ran into the water with out much thought... until 10 minutes later I felt something in my pocket that I really wish I hadn't. It was the car keys. I took them out, showed Jenee and made the swim/walk of shame to the beach to try and fix what I had done. I rinsed them with fresh water and left them to dry. At the end of the day, we made our way back to the car to head home and guess what: the key would open the door but not the immobilizer. We tried everything we could, had Jenee's dad and uncle offering advice over the phone, tried jump starting and even push starting with no luck. By the end of all the drama which is too much to write here, we decided to stay the night again as the only way we were going to get the car started was to rent a car, drive the 200+ miles back to Gainesville, get the spare key, then drive back to Cocoa, get our car and drive back to Gainesville. Well that plan was foiled because between the Cruiseliners, the Shuttle landing happening and Disney, there wasn't an available rental car in a 100 mile radius.

Not knowing what to do, we went to dinner where we had an amazing BBQ chicken pizza and then walked back to the car to get our luggage and in our wisdom (or lack of) decided that the hotel wasn't that far and proceeded to walk the entire way towing our luggage. Turned out, we walked 2 miles in swealtering heat, in flip-flops when we could have caught the bus for $1.25. That night in the hotel, I prayed that God would take control of the situation and either provide a rental car or someone in Gainesville who could come and get us, or anything. I also had bought some isopropanol to clean the key with in the hope that it may help. I left the key completely disassembled overnight to dry. The following morning we got ourselves together and this time caught the bus back to where the car was. I tried the button, no sound. I told Jenee that I may as well try the ignition just in case and would you believe it, the car started. There was much celebration and high-5's in the carpark where a local fast food worker was watching with amazement at these wierd people.

We piled in the car, drove back to the hotel, left the car running, got our stuff and hit the road for Gainesville. God was so good to us, he was in control the whole time. He had orchestrated the fuel situation two nights before so that we'd have a full tank to make it home with negating the need to turn the car off and refuel, he left just enough charge in the car key battery to turn the immobilizer off (the battery had leaked its contents everywhere after going for a swim) and he provided a smooth ride home with little to no stops so I didn't run the risk of stalling the car. He is so good.

The rest of the vacation went well. We also went to St. Augustine for more surfing, and later Cedar Key. Now, I have to make a confession. I know better than to ride a body board with out a rash vest but did I do it anyway? yes... Did I ware skin off? yes... Did I do it at Cocoa and then at St. Augustine? yes... Am I sorry I did that? yes... lol

Apart from a little drama, we had a great time with Cort and Meg. Can't wait for them to come back.


No comments: