So a few weeks ago, I got to visit the big apple for the first time, even if it was a 1 day ordeal. We flew to NYC to take part in a sponsors meeting and when I say we, I mean 10 post-doc's and research scientists. What was funny about the whole trip was the groop mentality, apparently we had to do everything together, almost as if there was some unsaid fear of separation.
Anyway, my first impressions of New York City were made as we circled in to LaGuardia Airport and it quickly became evident how huge the city is. Once outside of the airport, and having dealt with the crazy taxi's, me second impressions were on how bad the roads were, how dirty everything seemed and how many people there were, I even convinced myself that I might get an asthma attack because of all this. I realised I was panicing in my own way, funnily enough, but I couldn't think what the reason was? Eventually I put it down to fear so I prayed, put it out of my mind and allowed the Lord to be in control.
Anyway, apart from that, I soon started to warm up to the city, it's definately very cosmopolitan in the sense of how much variety there is in the people, the buildings, the resturants etc. I guess you get a very different sense of NYC when you are there compared to the movies. I did pay way too much for a tasteless, low carbon footprint hamburger, and I did ride the subway. That's a special experience. It's loud, extremely dirty, and a bit confusing. According to a Japanese friend, the Japanese subways are the polar opposite. Must go there one day.
Anyway, the trip was fun and fast, but I did manage to snap a few shots off. Hope you enjoy.


4 comments:
Having not seen many of your "just because I enjoy photography" pics lately, I must say your skill is VERY impressive. Great shots. I miss hanging out with you guys. We will be down the weekend of the 19th (2 weeks) for a quick trip.
Brandon
Thanks for the compliments mate, we miss you guys too. Jenee will be out of town, but I should be here so I'll probably see you then :-)
Wow Pooch. They look professional. You sure you didnt borrow them off flicker or another photo web site?
Well, actually, they are off Flickr. They are off MY flickr page... Thanks for the nice compliment :-)
Post a Comment