Well not only have I resisted spending my birthday gift card at Best Buy in the last 24 hours, but I have also embraced my inner minimalist by putting into action a carefully concieved plan of space saving and convenience (two of my favorite things). I have been thinking for a while now about what to do with my growing collection of photography journals and a while ago the solution came to mind.
I realized that I have at my disposal, a full, legal version of Adobe Acrobat Pro, a scanner with an auto feeder and a surgical scalpel. Put that all together and what do you get? Scanned magazines that are catagorised, searchable and functional, no longer take up shelf space, and won't degrade or get torn up. What more could I want?
I used my scalpel to carefully cut the pages out of the magazine and then scanned them. The trick of the process was to recombine the odd and even pages, since I could only scan one side at a time. I looked online for software, I played around but refused to sort 180+ pages by hand. In the end, the easiest possible solution turned out to be built into the very computer I am using. I used Apple's "Automater" and created a script which did the task for me. (Actually truth be told, A colleague at work made the script cause he's a genius).
So there you have it, now I have 3 years worth of two journals all on my computer, not taking up space, and the pages are off to the recycler! Love it! Chris you'd be so proud of me.
2 comments:
do you cut each page one by one
no, that would be obsessive compulsive. it takes too long and is an inefficient method. thus accurately cutting multiple pages in one swoop is more effective and efficient...
Post a Comment