Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Storage Problems

Most of you know, I really enjoy photography and I LOVE my camera that my wife gave me. I use it every other day. Well, while reading through my popular photography magazine this week I came across an article that was discussing good practice for keeping your digital files safe on a long term basis. Charged with enthusiasm, I have started looking through my library and figuring out how many DVD's I'll need to make a preliminary hard copy backup.

I have been taking digital photos since 2002, which at the time of writing makes it 7 years. Also, knowing I started with a Canon S45 point and shoot, guess when I got my new SLR?

2002 - 109 files - 0.07 GB
2003 - 949 files - 0.76 GB
2004 - 759 files - 0.86 GB
2005 - 2255 files - 2.2 GB
2006 - 5683 files - 11.2 GB
2007 - 15,608 files - 41.7 GB
2008 - 7528 files - 16.6 GB

Totals: 32,000 files and counting, 72.9 GB.

I hope I don't have any drive failures before I get that all backed up...

2 comments:

Kevin Wang said...

your pictures looked like they were going to grow exponentially when they hit 2008, but instead dropped off

can you explain this deviation?

Nate said...

A diligent observation. There are several contributions to the explaination. Firstly in the early DSLR years I was trigger happy and took excess of photos. I have since become more restrained trying to take more crative images, rather than point-and-shoot. Secondly, I am only shooting in .jpg at the moment as apposed to raw and then converting to .jpg. And thridly, for certain event like Christmas I only had my photos to store where as the previous year I had kept photos taken by people who were travelling with us. And lastly, we have been less outgoing trying to save our money for our first home, which translates to fewer adventures and therefore less photos.