Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2007

New Kitty Playland!

You may have seen in the photos of our apartment a large black box that we use as a scratching post, kitty play land and focal point in the apartment. Ok, I was joking about the focal point thing, the box was originally meant to be a PA loud speaker but was salvaged by my friend Jacqui as a scratching post for her cats, one of whom is now mine (Sable). Well, I have to admit its not an overly pretty piece of furniture but for $300 that the pet shop is asking for a larger scratching post/play-land, the ugly little box has done us just fine.

Well, its done me just fine, but Jenee can hardly stand it, so, to make things a little more appealing, Jenee and Krista did some husband bartering and some how Brandon and I ended up being commissioned to build two kitty play-lands, one for them, one for us.

Now there is no such thing as small and subtle in our collective vocabularies. Therefore we designed and built a 3-tier 4 foot high mega-playland. See below for the fruits of Brandon and my labor.



Marble (top) and Sable enjoying the "Condo"

As you can see its more like a kitty condo with integrated scratching posts, plush pile carpets (thanks to the Hammersma's for their donation) and even an upper deck viewing platform.

Needless to say, Marble was rather afraid of it for a couple of days but I think they are pretty happy with it now. We came home today to find both of them playing with toys, scratching on posts and play fighting. I thing Sable has a little way to go on her dexterity skills though, she has fallen off it twice...

No comments: