Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Rainy Start and a Rainy End

This weekend, Jenee and I were invited to attend a real deal, Indian Powwow. Yep, you read that right, a powwow with singing and dancing and drums and hollering and trading and wolves. We were invited by our "Gainesville Mom", Donna. This lady has been there for me and for Jenee since before I even left Adelaide, she asked me to take some photo's for the event and it was the lest I could do as a way of showing our appreciation for all that she has done for me.

It was our first time at a powwow so we didnt know what to expect so we showed up at 2pm. We were treated as special guests, escorted around the powwow, being introduced to a number of different people and getting a taste for the abundance of life and friendship these people have. One thing I picked up on early and through the whole evening was respect and honor to your neighbor, somewhat Biblical. Right before the Grand Entry - the final dance for the day with all the dancers in full costume - an elder of the clan gave a little talk and prayed in their native language. He commemorated the prayer in English, "in the name of your son, Jesus Christ". I was floored!

Sadly we didn't get to see the dancers dance because right as the opening ceremony finished the sky opened up and down came the rain. Since it was requested to not take photo's during the opening ceremony I dont have any photos of the dancers, well, dancing. I am really sad about that because Jenee and I had waited 6 hours to see them, however, we needed the rain so Praise the Lord for the rain! I did get some photo's, hope you enjoy them. You will be able to see more at http://www.chambersfarms.com/. I'll link to it whenever the photo's are up.

(ed - photo's are coming soon)

No comments: